Home News WHO welcomes Egypt’s reception of wounded Palestinians for treatment
NewsSecurity

WHO welcomes Egypt’s reception of wounded Palestinians for treatment

Share
Share

Cairo, Egypt | Xinhua | The World Health Organization (WHO) welcomed on Wednesday Egypt’s decision to accept some 80 injured and sick people from the besieged Palestinian Gaza Strip for treatment in Egyptian hospitals.

WHO said in a statement that it has been working with the Egyptian Health Ministry “in planning and establishing a comprehensive triage, stabilization, and medical evacuation system, by providing ongoing training for health care staff.”

“Al-Arish Hospital (in North Sinai) will be the main first referral hospital. It has fully equipped resuscitation and intensive care facilities, and a range of surgical teams to manage severe injuries,” WHO said, noting that onward referral arrangements to second-line hospitals in Egypt are also in place.

The Egyptian Health Ministry announced on Wednesday that Egypt received through the Rafah border crossing the first group of wounded and sick Palestinians and transferred some of them to Al-Arish and Bir Al-Abd hospitals in North Sinai.

It added that quarantine doctors at the Rafah crossing also conducted medical examinations for 117 foreign nationals, including 35 children who received necessary vaccinations.

“All cases are stable and receiving superior medical care from the medical teams at the crossing or inside the hospitals,” the ministry noted.

Later in the day, North Sinai Governor Mohamed Abdel-Fadil Shousha paid a visit to Palestinian patients at Al-Arish Hospital.

For the first time since the beginning of the recent Israeli siege on Gaza, some 500 foreign passport holders, including Palestinian dual citizens, crossed into Egypt from Gaza via the Rafah crossing on Wednesday, according to Egyptian and foreign media citing unnamed officials.

Salama Maarouf, the head of the government media office in Gaza, said in a press statement “we appreciate all the efforts that resulted in the partial opening of the Rafah crossing, and we appreciate the step taken by the brothers in Egypt in receiving a number of wounded to Egyptian hospitals.”

He called on the Egyptian authorities to continue to open the crossing “permanently” to bring in all humanitarian needs and life supplies, “most notably the fuel needed to continue the work of service systems, which are now threatened with stopping work within hours.”

A total of 216 trucks carrying humanitarian aid have entered Gaza since Oct. 21, according to the United Nations. However, international relief organizations stressed this was still far from enough to address the “enormous humanitarian needs” in Gaza.

“So far, Al-Arish airport has received 67 planes carrying more than 1,500 tons of aid supplies to Gaza coming from 19 countries and 14 international organizations,” Khaled Zayed, head of the Egyptian Red Crescent branch in North Sinai, told Xinhua on Wednesday.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said on Wednesday that 8,720 Palestinians were killed in Gaza and 130 others in the West Bank and over 24,000 were injured since Israel started its war on Gaza.

The Israeli escalation came in retaliation for a massive surprise attack launched on Oct. 7 by the Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), which runs Gaza, which killed about 1,400 people in Israel while Hamas took over 200 to Gaza as hostages.

About The Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST POST

ConflictInternational

Tupac Murder Trial Puts Diddy Under Fresh Spotlight as Keffe D Faces Court

Tupac Murder Trial Puts Diddy Under Fresh Spotlight as Keffe D Faces Court Sean “Diddy” Combs has come under renewed scrutiny over the...

EntertainmentInternationalReligion

Gospel Music Veteran Asu Ekiye Reveals 28-Year Marriage Has Ended

Gospel Music Veteran Asu Ekiye Reveals 28-Year Marriage Has Ended Nigerian gospel music veteran, Asu Ekiye, has disclosed that his 28-year marriage to...

AfricaInternationalSecurity

UK Issues Fresh Nigeria Travel Alert, Restricts Visits to 21 Areas

UK Issues Fresh Nigeria Travel Alert, Restricts Visits to 21 Areas The United Kingdom has updated its travel advice for Nigeria, warning British...

EntertainmentInternational

OnlyFans Star Scarlet Vas Announces Second Baby With Stepbrother-Turned-Husband

OnlyFans Star Scarlet Vas Announces Second Baby With Stepbrother-Turned-Husband OnlyFans creator and former Neighbours actress Scarlet Vas has announced that she and her...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: The Secret That Kept the Owl Awake at Night

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: The Secret That Kept the Owl Awake at Night “Why are you still awake?” Owl opened...

ConflictInternational

Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Allies With Punishment

Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Allies With Punishment US President Donald Trump has announced a major escalation of economic pressure on...

Sport

Manchester United Set Sights on New Left-Back After £65m Baleba Move

Manchester United Set Sights on New Left-Back After £65m Baleba Move Manchester United appear to be putting the finishing touches on their £65...

Religion

Onaiyekan Hits Back at Presidency: Nobody Can Embarrass Me at 82

Onaiyekan Hits Back at Presidency: Nobody Can Embarrass Me at 82 Cardinal John Onaiyekan, Catholic Archbishop Emeritus of Abuja, has hit back at...

ReligionTech

VIDEO: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome showcases new Tsion electric vehicle models

VIDEO: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome showcases new Tsion electric vehicle models Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, founder of LoveWorld Incorporated, has unveiled a collection of electric...

AfricaInternationalPolitics

Tinubu Moves to Delay Release of US Records on Drug Allegations

Tinubu Moves to Delay Release of US Records on Drug Allegations President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has joined the US Department of Justice in...

Sport

Bayern Munich Midfielder Opens Up On Neurological Disorder After Latest Collapse

Bayern Munich Midfielder Opens Up On Neurological Disorder After Latest Collapse Bayern Munich midfielder Jamal Musiala has broken his silence about his health...

Related Articles

UK Issues Fresh Nigeria Travel Alert, Restricts Visits to 21 Areas

UK Issues Fresh Nigeria Travel Alert, Restricts Visits to 21 Areas The...

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options...

Jezco Boss Abducted: Kidnappers Raise Ransom Demand to N1.5bn

Jezco Boss Abducted: Kidnappers Raise Ransom Demand to N1.5bn Kidnappers holding Anambra...

Anambra: NDC crisis deepens over Anaocha constituency-I Assembly ticket

Anambra: NDC crisis deepens over Anaocha constituency-I Assembly ticket The Anambra chapter...