EFCC Lifts Freeze on Osun Accounts After Tinubu’s Directive
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has lifted the restriction on the Osun State Government’s accounts after President Bola Tinubu ordered the funds to be released.
The accounts, held by the state government with First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, are now operational following the removal of the Post No Debit order earlier placed on them.
The EFCC had frozen the accounts on August 5 as part of an investigation into the alleged handling of about N11bn in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations from the Federation Account Allocation Committee.
The restriction sparked controversy, with critics questioning the timing of the EFCC action, particularly as it came shortly before the Osun governorship election.
Tinubu later criticised the move and directed the anti-graft agency to unfreeze the accounts.
After securing victory in the election, Governor Ademola Adeleke directed the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the legal action filed against the EFCC over the restriction.
Although the EFCC and the state government did not immediately issue formal statements on the lifting of the restriction, Tinubu’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the President’s directive had been carried out.
“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately,” Ajayi said.
An aide to Adeleke also confirmed that the accounts had become fully functional, explaining that the development was the reason the governor ordered the withdrawal of the court case.
“The accounts are now functional. That was why Mr Governor directed the Attorney-General to withdraw the suit against EFCC,” the aide said.

The EFCC’s investigation into the alleged N11bn financial transactions is expected to continue despite the lifting of the restriction on the state government’s accounts.
Leave a comment