Home Politics Romanian Court Annuls Result Of Presidential Election First Round
Politics

Romanian Court Annuls Result Of Presidential Election First Round

Share
Share

By Chinasaokwu Helen Okoro

Romania’s constitutional court has annulled the result of the first round of voting in the presidential election just days before the second round was due to take place.

It means the process will be restarted from scratch, with the government due to decide a date for a new vote.The first round was won by Calin Georgescu, an almost unknown far-right Nato-sceptic who has previously praised Vladimir Putin.

The court’s decision comes after intelligence documents were declassified, suggesting Georgescu benefitted from a mass influence operation – conducted from abroad – to interfere with the result of the vote.

Hours after the court’s decision, Georgescu told a Romanian TV channel that the country’s democracy was “under attack”, describing the verdict as a “formalised coup d’etat”.

He said he would “go forward through the voting process”, implying that he would try to run again for president.

Outgoing Romanian Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu said the court’s decision to annul was “the only correct solution after the declassification of the documents… which show that the result of the Romanians’ vote was blatantly distorted as a result of Russia’s intervention”.

In an address on Friday evening, current President Klaus Iohannis confirmed he would remain in the role until a new president was elected.

He said Romania was a stable, safe and solid country, one that remained safely and solidly pro-European and an ally to Nato.The judges of the court met on Friday morning, despite having announced the previous night that they would not discuss new information regarding possible external influence on the elections until the second round of voting.

The law stipulates that, in the event of the annulment of the elections, they should resume on the second Sunday after the date of the annulment – which would have meant on 22 December.

However, the court has decided to ask the government to rerun the entire electoral process, and therefore the electoral campaign.

Last week, the court had ordered a recount of votes cast in Sunday’s first round following allegations that social media platform TikTok gave “preferential treatment” to the surprise winner, Calin Georgescu.Georgescu, a radical with no party of his own, campaigned mainly on TikTok.

The platform said it was “categorically false to claim his account was treated differently to any other candidate”.

He won 23% of the vote, with 19% for the runner-up, Elena Lasconi, of the opposition Save Romania Union and Ciolacu of the governing Social Democrats in third.Romanian court annuls result of presidential election first round14 hours ago Sarah RainsfordBBC Eastern Europe correspondent Reporting from Bucharest

Getty Images Calin Georgescu looks down as he casts his vote as a crowd looks on Getty Images Calin Georgescu cast his vote in the first round of voting last weekend Romania’s constitutional court has annulled the result of the first round of voting in the presidential election just days before the second round was due to take place.

It means the process will be restarted from scratch, with the government due to decide a date for a new vote.

The first round was won by Calin Georgescu, an almost unknown far-right Nato-sceptic who has previously praised Vladimir Putin.

The court’s decision comes after intelligence documents were declassified, suggesting Georgescu benefitted from a mass influence operation – conducted from abroad – to interfere with the result of the vote.

Hours after the court’s decision, Georgescu told a Romanian TV channel that the country’s democracy was “under attack”, describing the verdict as a “formalised coup d’etat”.

He said he would “go forward through the voting process”, implying that he would try to run again for president.

Outgoing Romanian Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu said the court’s decision to annul was “the only correct solution after the declassification of the documents… which show that the result of the Romanians’ vote was blatantly distorted as a result of Russia’s intervention”.

In an address on Friday evening, current President Klaus Iohannis confirmed he would remain in the role until a new president was elected.

He said Romania was a stable, safe and solid country, one that remained safely and solidly pro-European and an ally to Nato.Romania’s cancelled presidential election and why it mattersAlleged Russian election-meddling in Romania resurrects dark memories.

The judges of the court met on Friday morning, despite having announced the previous night that they would not discuss new information regarding possible external influence on the elections until the second round of voting.

The law stipulates that, in the event of the annulment of the elections, they should resume on the second Sunday after the date of the annulment – which would have meant on 22 December.

However, the court has decided to ask the government to rerun the entire electoral process, and therefore the electoral campaign.

Last week, the court had ordered a recount of votes cast in Sunday’s first round following allegations that social media platform TikTok gave “preferential treatment” to the surprise winner, Calin Georgescu.

Georgescu, a radical with no party of his own, campaigned mainly on TikTok. The platform said it was “categorically false to claim his account was treated differently to any other candidate”.

He won 23% of the vote, with 19% for the runner-up, Elena Lasconi, of the opposition Save Romania Union and Ciolacu of the governing Social Democrats in third.

Getty Images Calin Georgescu looks down as he casts his vote as a crowd looks on Getty Images Calin Georgescu cast his vote in the first round of voting last weekend Romania’s constitutional court has annulled the result of the first round of voting in the presidential election just days before the second round was due to take place.

It means the process will be restarted from scratch, with the government due to decide a date for a new vote.

The first round was won by Calin Georgescu, an almost unknown far-right Nato-sceptic who has previously praised Vladimir Putin.

The court’s decision comes after intelligence documents were declassified, suggesting Georgescu benefitted from a mass influence operation – conducted from abroad – to interfere with the result of the vote.

Hours after the court’s decision, Georgescu told a Romanian TV channel that the country’s democracy was “under attack”, describing the verdict as a “formalised coup d’etat”.

He said he would “go forward through the voting process”, implying that he would try to run again for president.Outgoing Romanian Prime Minister Marcel Ciolacu said the court’s decision to annul was “the only correct solution after the declassification of the documents… which show that the result of the Romanians’ vote was blatantly distorted as a result of Russia’s intervention”.

In an address on Friday evening, current President Klaus Iohannis confirmed he would remain in the role until a new president was elected.

He said Romania was a stable, safe and solid country, one that remained safely and solidly pro-European and an ally to Nato.

Romania’s cancelled presidential election and why it mattersAlleged Russian election-meddling in Romania resurrects dark memories.

The judges of the court met on Friday morning, despite having announced the previous night that they would not discuss new information regarding possible external influence on the elections until the second round of voting.

The law stipulates that, in the event of the annulment of the elections, they should resume on the second Sunday after the date of the annulment – which would have meant on 22 December.

However, the court has decided to ask the government to rerun the entire electoral process, and therefore the electoral campaign.

Last week, the court had ordered a recount of votes cast in Sunday’s first round following allegations that social media platform TikTok gave “preferential treatment” to the surprise winner, Calin Georgescu.

Georgescu, a radical with no party of his own, campaigned mainly on TikTok. The platform said it was “categorically false to claim his account was treated differently to any other candidate”.

He won 23% of the vote, with 19% for the runner-up, Elena Lasconi, of the opposition Save Romania Union and Ciolacu of the governing Social Democrats in third.EPA Elena Lasconi, a blonde woman wearing a purple dress, speaks EPA Elena Lasconi accused the court of trampling on democracy Lasconi condemned the court’s ruling as “illegal” and “immoral”, saying “today is the moment when the Romanian state has trampled on democracy”.

“Whether we like it or not, from a legal and legitimate point of view, nine million Romanian citizens, both in the country and in the diaspora, have expressed their preference for a certain candidate.

We cannot ignore their will!” she said.She had been hoping to win the second round run-off on Sunday, which has now been cancelled.

The Constitutional Court also rejected claims filed by two of the losing candidates who accused Georgescu of illegal campaign financing.

He claimed the political establishment could not cope with his success and was trying to block him.

The country is now in totally new territory, politically. And no-one is quite sure what comes next.

About The Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST POST

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: Nkem Opened a Door Meant for the Dead

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Nkem Opened a Door Meant for the Dead In the old village of Umuowa, there was...

Entertainment

BBNaija S11: Neche Leaves House After Surprise Decision

BBNaija S11: Neche Leaves House After Surprise Decision Big Brother Naija Season 11 housemate, Chinaecherem Maduagwu, better known as Neche, has left the...

AfricaNews

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options A renewed debate over police bail in Nigeria has brought an...

Politics

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has renewed his support for President...

Tech

Elon Musk’s Starlink Goes Live in Africa as Airtel Launches Direct-to-Phone Service in DRC

Elon Musk’s Starlink Goes Live in Africa as Airtel Launches Direct-to-Phone Service in DRC Elon Musk’s Starlink has made its commercial entry into...

Politics

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In The collation of results from the Osun State governorship election has...

Politics

Osun Election: Davido Accuses Tinubu of ‘Killing Democracy’ Amid Security Tension

Osun Election: Davido Accuses Tinubu of ‘Killing Democracy’ Amid Security Tension Afrobeats star Davido has accused President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of undermining democracy...

Politics

Osun Poll: Security Operatives Nab Over 100 Alleged Imported Voters

Osun Poll: Security Operatives Nab Over 100 Alleged Imported Voters More than 100 people allegedly brought into Osun State to vote in Saturday’s...

Politics

Osun Election: Heavy Security, Early Queues as Voting Begins Across State

Osun Election: Heavy Security, Early Queues as Voting Begins Across State OSOGBO — Residents across Osun State have begun turning out to vote...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: Ugochi and the Stranger Who Knew Her Father’s Name

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Ugochi and the Stranger Who Knew Her Father’s Name Long before the roads of Umuaro became...

Travel

United Nigeria Airlines Crew Member Commended for Professionalism During Unruly Passenger Incident

United Nigeria Airlines Crew Member Commended for Professionalism During Unruly Passenger Incident A cabin crew member of United Nigeria Airlines, Miss Uche Francisca...

Related Articles

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun...

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In...

Osun Election: Davido Accuses Tinubu of ‘Killing Democracy’ Amid Security Tension

Osun Election: Davido Accuses Tinubu of ‘Killing Democracy’ Amid Security Tension Afrobeats...

Osun Poll: Security Operatives Nab Over 100 Alleged Imported Voters

Osun Poll: Security Operatives Nab Over 100 Alleged Imported Voters More than...