Home Conflict Some of the M23 soldiers on duty. PHOTO URN
ConflictSecurity

Some of the M23 soldiers on duty. PHOTO URN

Share
Share

North Kivu, DRC |  The March 23 Movement (M23) rebels have denied accusations that they are  blocking locals from accessing gardens in Rutshuru territory, North Kivu province in the Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.

On Tuesday, a section of locals led by Selon Jean-Claude Mbabaze, President of Civil Society in Rutshuru came out and accused the M23 rebels of blocking them from accessing their gardens.

Mbabaze argued that although this is the season of harvesting crops like beans and maize, the rebels are refusing locals from accessing their gardens. He said  that many cases of locals being blocked are registered in Kaunga area, approximately 5 kilometeres north of the town of Kiwanja.

Mbabaze says that denying the locals access to the gardens is putting them at risk of dying of hunger as well as failure to harvest and sell in time. He also accuses the rebels of allegedly impounding a vehicle carrying around 10 tons of food products towards Goma city last week.  Rutshuru is one of the major food basket areas supplying Goma city.

However, in a statement released on Wednesday evening, M23 rebels through their political spokesperson; Lawrence Kanyuka strongly refute the accusations.   Kanyuka instead argues that the complainants are being used by the government as a propaganda tool with an intention of tarnishing M23’s reputation.

Kanyuka also wonders why Mbabaze who is one of the complainants fails to recognize how M23 fighters protect locals whenever they are praying from his operational Pentecostal church near Rutshuru town.

Following the withdraw of Ugandan, Kenyan, South Sudanese and Burundian troops deployed under East African Community Regional Force (EACRF) in December 2023 after DR Congo government refused to extend the mandate, M23 rebels re-occupied the positions in Rutshuru, Nyiragongo and Masisi territories.

Currently there is a lull of gun sound on all the fronts, but all parties remain on alert as they keep their positions. The last attack happened on 6th, January, 2024 when Government forces with the use of combat drones struck M23 positions in Nyongera, Kiwanja  in Rutshuru territory.

In March 2022, M23 led by Bertrand Bisimwa and General Sultan Makenga launched a war against the government.  The DR Congo government accuses Rwanda of backing M23, but Rwanda and M23 strongly deny it.  The rebels claim to fight against bad leadership in DR Congo based on corruption, xenophobia, and discrimination.

About The Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST POST

ReligionTech

VIDEO: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome showcases new Tsion electric vehicle models

VIDEO: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome showcases new Tsion electric vehicle models Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, founder of LoveWorld Incorporated, has unveiled a collection of electric...

AfricaInternationalPolitics

Tinubu Moves to Delay Release of US Records on Drug Allegations

Tinubu Moves to Delay Release of US Records on Drug Allegations President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has joined the US Department of Justice in...

Sport

Bayern Munich Midfielder Opens Up On Neurological Disorder After Latest Collapse

Bayern Munich Midfielder Opens Up On Neurological Disorder After Latest Collapse Bayern Munich midfielder Jamal Musiala has broken his silence about his health...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: Why The Elephant Walks Slowly

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Why The Elephant  Walks Slowly Long before the animals learned to respect the wisdom of age,...

Tech

Meta Faces Landmark Trial Over Alleged Harm to Children on Facebook and Instagram

Meta Faces Landmark Trial Over Alleged Harm to Children on Facebook and Instagram Meta Platforms is facing one of its most significant legal...

AfricaPolitics

Zambia President Wins Second Term, Promises Millions of Jobs

Zambia President Wins Second Term, Promises Millions of Jobs Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema has secured a second five-year term after winning 60 per...

AfricaConflictInternational

Tinubu Drug Records: US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release

Tinubu Drug Records: US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release A United States federal judge, Beryl Howell, has given US Attorney Jeanine...

International

If Oman Gets in the Way, We’ll Bomb the Shit Out of Them — Trump

If Oman Gets in the Way, We’ll Bomb the Shit Out of Them — Trump US President Donald Trump has threatened to bomb...

AfricaEconomic

Inflation Slows, But Food Bills Keep Rising Across Nigeria

Inflation Slows, But Food Bills Keep Rising Across Nigeria Nigeria’s inflation rate may be showing signs of slowing down, but the cost of...

Metro

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities A prominent businessman and philanthropist, Omooba Abimbola Onabanjo, and his wife, Olori Abayomi Onabanjo, have donated...

Sport

Super Falcons Coach Sacked After WAFCON Exit

Super Falcons Coach Sacked After WAFCON Exit The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has sacked Super Falcons head coach Justine Madugu and ordered members...

Related Articles

Tinubu Drug Records: US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release

Tinubu Drug Records: US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release A...

Trump’s Gaza Peace Push Faces New Hurdle as Envoy Heads to Israel

Trump’s Gaza Peace Push Faces New Hurdle as Envoy Heads to Israel...

Jezco Boss Abducted: Kidnappers Raise Ransom Demand to N1.5bn

Jezco Boss Abducted: Kidnappers Raise Ransom Demand to N1.5bn Kidnappers holding Anambra...

“We’re Ready to Retaliate”: Iran Presses Gulf States to Avert Fresh U.S. Strikes

“We’re Ready to Retaliate”: Iran Presses Gulf States to Avert Fresh U.S....