Home News Africa DRC Insists on Cobalt Export Quotas, Rejects Pressure from Chinese Mining Firms
Africa

DRC Insists on Cobalt Export Quotas, Rejects Pressure from Chinese Mining Firms

Share
Share

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu

 

DRC Insists on Cobalt Export Quotas, Rejects Pressure from Chinese Mining Firms

 

The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has reaffirmed its decision to enforce cobalt export quotas despite opposition from Chinese mining companies, stressing that the country will not allow its resources to be dictated by foreign interests.

 

Mining Minister Louis Watum Kabamba, speaking to Reuters on the sidelines of a Cobalt Institute seminar in New York on Wednesday, said the government’s priority is to secure fair value for its cobalt exports by encouraging more local processing and reducing reliance on raw exports.

 

“We cannot let other people decide for us. Whether there will be a stockpile or not is secondary. The most important thing is to obtain a fairer price,” Watum said.

 

The new system, set to begin on October 16, will replace an export ban imposed earlier in February. Under the policy, mining companies will be allowed to export up to 18,125 tonnes of cobalt for the remainder of 2025, with annual limits of 96,600 tonnes for 2026 and 2027.

 

Congo currently supplies about 70 percent of the world’s cobalt, a key material used in electric vehicle batteries. The quota system has been welcomed by Glencore, the world’s second-largest producer, but opposed by China Molybdenum (CMOC), whose production capacity exceeds the government’s imposed limits.

 

“We will not be controlled by the Chinese or by anyone, but ourselves. A country that supplies 70 percent of the world’s cobalt must have a say in pricing,” the minister added.

 

Watum noted that while revisions to the quotas may be considered in the future, no timeline has been set. He also warned that the government would continue to reclaim concessions from companies that fail to develop their assigned mining assets.

About The Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST POST

International

If Oman Gets in the Way, We’ll Bomb the Shit Out of Them — Trump

If Oman Gets in the Way, We’ll Bomb the Shit Out of Them — Trump US President Donald Trump has threatened to bomb...

AfricaEconomic

Inflation Slows, But Food Bills Keep Rising Across Nigeria

Inflation Slows, But Food Bills Keep Rising Across Nigeria Nigeria’s inflation rate may be showing signs of slowing down, but the cost of...

Metro

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities A prominent businessman and philanthropist, Omooba Abimbola Onabanjo, and his wife, Olori Abayomi Onabanjo, have donated...

Sport

Super Falcons Coach Sacked After WAFCON Exit

Super Falcons Coach Sacked After WAFCON Exit The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has sacked Super Falcons head coach Justine Madugu and ordered members...

ConflictInternational

Trump’s Gaza Peace Push Faces New Hurdle as Envoy Heads to Israel

Trump’s Gaza Peace Push Faces New Hurdle as Envoy Heads to Israel US President Donald Trump’s latest diplomatic effort to end the war...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: Nkem Opened a Door Meant for the Dead

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Nkem Opened a Door Meant for the Dead In the old village of Umuowa, there was...

Entertainment

BBNaija S11: Neche Leaves House After Surprise Decision

BBNaija S11: Neche Leaves House After Surprise Decision Big Brother Naija Season 11 housemate, Chinaecherem Maduagwu, better known as Neche, has left the...

AfricaNews

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options A renewed debate over police bail in Nigeria has brought an...

Politics

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has renewed his support for President...

Tech

Elon Musk’s Starlink Goes Live in Africa as Airtel Launches Direct-to-Phone Service in DRC

Elon Musk’s Starlink Goes Live in Africa as Airtel Launches Direct-to-Phone Service in DRC Elon Musk’s Starlink has made its commercial entry into...

Politics

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In The collation of results from the Osun State governorship election has...

Related Articles

Inflation Slows, But Food Bills Keep Rising Across Nigeria

Inflation Slows, But Food Bills Keep Rising Across Nigeria Nigeria’s inflation rate...

Africa’s Talking Drum: Nkem Opened a Door Meant for the Dead

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Nkem Opened a Door Meant...

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options...

Africa’s Talking Drum: Ugochi and the Stranger Who Knew Her Father’s Name

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Ugochi and the Stranger Who...