Home Security UPDF confirms foiled Al-Shabaab attack
SecurityWorld

UPDF confirms foiled Al-Shabaab attack

Share
Share

Smoke after a blast in Mogadishu. FILE PHOTO VIA @HarunMaruf

Mogadishu, Somalia |  The Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) headquarters in Kampala has confirmed that a few days ago, Al-Shabaab militants were repulsed in an attempted attack on their contingent in Somalia. They however dismissed as rumours, stories  that 12 soldiers were killed.

According to VOA news, twin bombs went off on Wednesday in the Lower Shabelle leaving more than 20 people including the region’s capital mayor, Abdullahi Ali Wafow, dead alongside his advisor and 11 other officials.

The media reported that the first blast was aimed at officials in the town of Merca, which is the capital of Lower Shabelle, region. This is the explosion that claimed the life of Merca mayor Wafow.

Since the explosion, there has been reports that 12 soldiers attached to the Ugandan contingent were killed while others survived with injuries and they have since been airlifted to Kenya capital Nairobi for specialized care and treatment.

UPDF Spokesperson, Brig Gen Felix Kulayigye, dismissed the information as false. He said that all Ugandan soldiers in Somalia are safe and no casualties have been recorded as result of the recent blasts even though an attempt to harm the contingent was foiled.

“No, no, that is not true. But if you stick with today, but early in the week none. Yes, there were attempts on our defenses but they were all repulsed,” says Brig. Gen Kulayigye.

UPDF has been in Somalia since 2007 under the African Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) program that was backed by UN Security council permanent states like US, China, Russia, France and UK.

However, UPDF and other countries were supposed to withdraw their forces from Somalia in March this year after the end of AMISOM program. This was after funding UN Security council permanent countries concluded basing on study of situation on ground and Somali nationals that the foreign forces had outlived their usefulness.

But in a twist of things, Uganda and other countries that have forces like Kenya and Burundi said they were are staying in Somalia under the new arrangement dubbed African Transition Mission in Somalia (ATMIS).

But ever since foreign forces decided to stay in Somalia, there have been several successful and foiled attacks on ATMIS bases. The biggest successful attack on ATMIS forces was in May where more than 30 soldiers were killed and 20 left nursing nasty injuries.

The Burundian government in response to May 3, 2022 attacks confirmed that only 10 of its soldiers had been killed. President Evariste Ndayishimwe condemned the attack on Burundian contingent saying: “In join with all of Africa which has just lost sons and daughters.”

In the Wednesday explosions, a second bomb went off in a busy livestock market in the town of Afgoye. In all these incidents, Al-Shabaab militants have posted videos claiming responsibility. The May 3 massive killing of Burundian forces was described by Al-Shabaab as ‘martyrdom operations.”

ATMIS has been in a four months training Somali National Army (SNA) which ended on 22nd this month. The training which was conducted with the help of United Kingdom Mission Support Team (UKMIST) focused on handling explosives and hazards, Improvised Explosive Device (IED) assessment and mitigation.

There have been concern that SNA has lost ground to Al-Shabaab a reason they have successfully planted IEDs on main supply routes leading to civilian casualties and disrupting movement of people and goods.

independent

About The Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST POST

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: The Secret That Kept the Owl Awake at Night

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: The Secret That Kept the Owl Awake at Night “Why are you still awake?” Owl opened...

ConflictInternational

Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Allies With Punishment

Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Allies With Punishment US President Donald Trump has announced a major escalation of economic pressure on...

Sport

Manchester United Set Sights on New Left-Back After £65m Baleba Move

Manchester United Set Sights on New Left-Back After £65m Baleba Move Manchester United appear to be putting the finishing touches on their £65...

Religion

Onaiyekan Hits Back at Presidency: Nobody Can Embarrass Me at 82

Onaiyekan Hits Back at Presidency: Nobody Can Embarrass Me at 82 Cardinal John Onaiyekan, Catholic Archbishop Emeritus of Abuja, has hit back at...

ReligionTech

VIDEO: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome showcases new Tsion electric vehicle models

VIDEO: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome showcases new Tsion electric vehicle models Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, founder of LoveWorld Incorporated, has unveiled a collection of electric...

AfricaInternationalPolitics

Tinubu Moves to Delay Release of US Records on Drug Allegations

Tinubu Moves to Delay Release of US Records on Drug Allegations President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has joined the US Department of Justice in...

Sport

Bayern Munich Midfielder Opens Up On Neurological Disorder After Latest Collapse

Bayern Munich Midfielder Opens Up On Neurological Disorder After Latest Collapse Bayern Munich midfielder Jamal Musiala has broken his silence about his health...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: Why The Elephant Walks Slowly

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Why The Elephant  Walks Slowly Long before the animals learned to respect the wisdom of age,...

Tech

Meta Faces Landmark Trial Over Alleged Harm to Children on Facebook and Instagram

Meta Faces Landmark Trial Over Alleged Harm to Children on Facebook and Instagram Meta Platforms is facing one of its most significant legal...

AfricaPolitics

Zambia President Wins Second Term, Promises Millions of Jobs

Zambia President Wins Second Term, Promises Millions of Jobs Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema has secured a second five-year term after winning 60 per...

AfricaConflictInternational

Tinubu Drug Records: US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release

Tinubu Drug Records: US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release A United States federal judge, Beryl Howell, has given US Attorney Jeanine...

Related Articles

Jezco Boss Abducted: Kidnappers Raise Ransom Demand to N1.5bn

Jezco Boss Abducted: Kidnappers Raise Ransom Demand to N1.5bn Kidnappers holding Anambra...

Canada And Nigeria Seal Landmark Air Deal

Canada  And Nigeria Seal Landmark Air Deal A new era in Canada-Nigeria...

“N50m Was Paid”: Family Opens Up on Kebbi Judge’s Release

“N50m Was Paid”: Family Opens Up on Kebbi Judge’s Release Eight days...

Oil Prices Drop as Trump Delays Planned Iran Strike

Oil Prices Drop as Trump Delays Planned Iran Strike Global oil prices...