Home Metro More Than 250 Unaccounted For After Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades
Metro

More Than 250 Unaccounted For After Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

Share
Share

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu

 

More Than 250 Unaccounted For After Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

Hong Kong emergency crews were still combing through the charred remains of several high-rise blocks on Thursday, searching for more than 250 people who remain unaccounted for after a devastating blaze tore through a large residential estate in Tai Po.

 

At least 55 people have been confirmed dead, making it the city’s deadliest fire in decades.

 

More than 24 hours after the first flames erupted inside the Wang Fuk Court estate, a complex of eight residential towers with about 2,000 unit, plumes of smoke continued to drift from upper floors as firefighters directed water hoses at the scorched buildings.

 

Officials said four of the affected towers had been fully extinguished, while fires in three others were under control. Only one block escaped damage.

 

Investigators are now examining what may have accelerated the inferno, including bamboo scaffolding and plastic mesh that wrapped parts of the estate for ongoing renovation work.

 

Hong Kong’s anti-corruption agency also announced a probe into the construction project, coming hours after police arrested three men accused of leaving foam packaging materials at the site.

 

Residents described chaotic scenes as the fire spread at frightening speed. Some said they never heard an alarm and had to bang on doors and ring bells to alert neighbours.

 

“The fire moved too quickly,” a resident identified only as Suen told AFP. “One hose for so many buildings — it just wasn’t enough.”

 

In the aftermath, crowds of volunteers gathered near the estate, offering clothes, food, and support to displaced families and exhausted firefighters.

“When something like this happens, everyone comes out to help,” said 38-year-old Stone Ngai, who helped set up an impromptu aid station.

 

Among the dead was a 37-year-old firefighter who lost contact with his team before being found with severe burns, officials said.

 

Sixty-one people are in hospital, including 15 in critical condition and 27 listed as serious.

 

Chief Executive John Lee said the government would immediately audit all housing estates undergoing major renovation, adding that he was “deeply saddened” by the scale of the tragedy.

 

He noted that 279 residents initially reported missing had not all been accounted for, although firefighters had since established contact with some.

 

Some residents evacuated from nearby buildings were allowed to return home Thursday afternoon. Meanwhile, flyers with photos and descriptions of missing individuals were being distributed as families waited anxiously for updates.

 

Hong Kong, once prone to deadly fires in crowded neighbourhoods, has seen significant safety improvements over the years.

 

But Wednesday’s disaster, complete with collapsing scaffolding, wind-driven flames, and debris falling from great heights, has revived painful memories of past tragedies.

 

Chinese President Xi Jinping issued condolences to the victims, including the firefighter who died while trying to contain the blaze.

 

As dusk fell, parts of the towers were still smouldering, a stark reminder of a fire whose toll continues to grow as authorities work through the devastated buildings.

About The Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST POST

AfricaPolitics

Zambia President Wins Second Term, Promises Millions of Jobs

Zambia President Wins Second Term, Promises Millions of Jobs Zambia’s President Hakainde Hichilema has secured a second five-year term after winning 60 per...

AfricaConflictInternational

Tinubu Drug Records: US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release

Tinubu Drug Records: US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release A United States federal judge, Beryl Howell, has given US Attorney Jeanine...

International

If Oman Gets in the Way, We’ll Bomb the Shit Out of Them — Trump

If Oman Gets in the Way, We’ll Bomb the Shit Out of Them — Trump US President Donald Trump has threatened to bomb...

AfricaEconomic

Inflation Slows, But Food Bills Keep Rising Across Nigeria

Inflation Slows, But Food Bills Keep Rising Across Nigeria Nigeria’s inflation rate may be showing signs of slowing down, but the cost of...

Metro

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities A prominent businessman and philanthropist, Omooba Abimbola Onabanjo, and his wife, Olori Abayomi Onabanjo, have donated...

Sport

Super Falcons Coach Sacked After WAFCON Exit

Super Falcons Coach Sacked After WAFCON Exit The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has sacked Super Falcons head coach Justine Madugu and ordered members...

ConflictInternational

Trump’s Gaza Peace Push Faces New Hurdle as Envoy Heads to Israel

Trump’s Gaza Peace Push Faces New Hurdle as Envoy Heads to Israel US President Donald Trump’s latest diplomatic effort to end the war...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: Nkem Opened a Door Meant for the Dead

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Nkem Opened a Door Meant for the Dead In the old village of Umuowa, there was...

Entertainment

BBNaija S11: Neche Leaves House After Surprise Decision

BBNaija S11: Neche Leaves House After Surprise Decision Big Brother Naija Season 11 housemate, Chinaecherem Maduagwu, better known as Neche, has left the...

AfricaNews

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options

Bail Without Payment? Nigerians Question Police Assurance as Lawyer Reveals Legal Options A renewed debate over police bail in Nigeria has brought an...

Politics

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has renewed his support for President...

Related Articles

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities

Philanthropist Donates 20 Boreholes to Ijebu-Ode Communities A prominent businessman and philanthropist,...

Former SUG President Found Dead While Serving as Corps Member

Former SUG President Found Dead While Serving as Corps Member A former...

Ibrahim Mbaya: What to Know About the 25-Year-Old Model Whose Death Has Sparked Outrage

Ibrahim Mbaya: What to Know About the 25-Year-Old Model Whose Death Has...

Sewuese Dies After Allegedly Being Trafficked to Cotonou for Prostitution

Sewuese Dies After Allegedly Being Trafficked to Cotonou for Prostitution A young...