Home Politics Our Safety Is at Stake’: Nigerian Senators Challenge VIP Security Cuts
Politics

Our Safety Is at Stake’: Nigerian Senators Challenge VIP Security Cuts

Share
Share

By; Chioma Madonna Ndukwu

 

Our Safety Is at Stake’: Nigerian Senators Challenge VIP Security Cuts

A fresh wave of tension broke out in the Nigerian Senate on Wednesday after several lawmakers protested the withdrawal of their police orderlies, insisting that the policy was being enforced unevenly and could put their lives at risk.

 

The protest, led by Senator Abdul Ningi (PDP, Bauchi Central), followed President Bola Tinubu’s recent directive ordering the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, to recall police personnel attached to Very Important Persons (VIPs).

 

The order, issued amid rising insecurity nationwide, instructs the Special Protection Unit (SPU) to redeploy officers back to their operational bases.

 

Nigeria has, for years, struggled with overstretched police manpower, with thousands of officers deployed to private individuals, politicians, business elites, entertainers and expatriates.

 

Security experts have argued that this practice leaves regular policing under-resourced at a time of widespread kidnapping, bandit attacks, and rising crime rates.

 

Successive governments have announced reforms, but enforcement has been inconsistent. Tinubu’s directive marks one of the most aggressive attempts to free officers from VIP assignments, but its rollout is already facing resistance, particularly from lawmakers who say they are being targeted first.

 

Senator Ningi told the chamber that his only police orderly was withdrawn early Wednesday morning, while ministers, business magnates, foreign companies, and even children of political office holders still move with full security convoys.

 

He argued that withdrawing protection from legislators alone amounted to unfair treatment.

“Let the withdrawal be done from top to bottom. I want to see it applied from the offices of the President and Vice President to ministers, governors and. business executives,” he said.

“I have seen ministers with convoys. I have seen Chinese companies with their orderlies. I have seen entertainers and children of political office holders with full security. It is unacceptable that senators are the first to be stripped of protection.”

 

Ningi warned that lawmakers should not become “scapegoats” in the implementation of a nationwide policy.

 

Presiding over the session, Deputy Senate President Jibrin Barau confirmed that Senate leadership had already opened discussions with the presidency to exempt members of the National Assembly from the directive.

 

He assured lawmakers that efforts were being made to restore their police protection.

> “It is standard international practice for legislators to have protection,” he said. “We have a listening President. We believe this matter will be addressed.”

 

This is not the first time senators are protesting the withdrawal. On November 26, during a debate on rising insecurity, several lawmakers warned that removing their escorts could expose them to serious danger.

 

Senator Aliyu Wamakko (APC, Sokoto North) argued that public officials remain high-value targets for terrorists and kidnappers.

> “Our lives are in danger. This decision is ill-timed,” he said.

 

Senator Tahir Monguno (APC, Borno North) also described the policy as risky, especially as criminal activity continues to rise.

> “Withdrawing protection now is like opening us up to attacks,” he said.

 

The Tinubu administration insists the decision is aimed at strengthening policing across Nigeria by returning thousands of officers to active duty.

 

But the growing pushback from federal lawmakers indicates that the reform may face political hurdles unless exemptions are granted. For now, senators insist the policy must apply equally or not at all.

About The Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST POST

EntertainmentInternational

Nigerian-American Beauty Queen Crowned Miss Grand USA After Original Winner’s Removal

Nigerian-American Beauty Queen Crowned Miss Grand USA After Original Winner’s Removal Nigerian-American beauty queen Victoria Oluwakotanmi has been named Miss Grand USA 2026...

Africa

EFCC Lifts Freeze on Osun Accounts After Tinubu’s Directive

EFCC Lifts Freeze on Osun Accounts After Tinubu’s Directive The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has lifted the restriction on the Osun State...

AfricaInternational

US FBI Explains Why Tinubu’s Alleged Drug Investigation Records Remain Withheld

US FBI Explains Why Tinubu’s Alleged Drug Investigation Records Remain Withheld The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has asked a federal court...

AfricaHealth

Alimosho General Hospital takes preventive healthcare to Ikotun Market

Alimosho General Hospital takes preventive healthcare to Ikotun Market Alimosho General Hospital, Igando, has offered a comprehensive medical outreach to traders at the...

AfricaHealthNews

Imo Set for First Robotic Surgery as Specialist Hospital Breaks New Ground

Imo Set for First Robotic Surgery as Specialist Hospital Breaks New Ground Imo State is set to make a major breakthrough in healthcare...

ConflictInternational

Tupac Murder Trial Puts Diddy Under Fresh Spotlight as Keffe D Faces Court

Tupac Murder Trial Puts Diddy Under Fresh Spotlight as Keffe D Faces Court Sean “Diddy” Combs has come under renewed scrutiny over the...

EntertainmentInternationalReligion

Gospel Music Veteran Asu Ekiye Reveals 28-Year Marriage Has Ended

Gospel Music Veteran Asu Ekiye Reveals 28-Year Marriage Has Ended Nigerian gospel music veteran, Asu Ekiye, has disclosed that his 28-year marriage to...

AfricaInternationalSecurity

UK Issues Fresh Nigeria Travel Alert, Restricts Visits to 21 Areas

UK Issues Fresh Nigeria Travel Alert, Restricts Visits to 21 Areas The United Kingdom has updated its travel advice for Nigeria, warning British...

EntertainmentInternational

OnlyFans Star Scarlet Vas Announces Second Baby With Stepbrother-Turned-Husband

OnlyFans Star Scarlet Vas Announces Second Baby With Stepbrother-Turned-Husband OnlyFans creator and former Neighbours actress Scarlet Vas has announced that she and her...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: The Secret That Kept the Owl Awake at Night

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: The Secret That Kept the Owl Awake at Night “Why are you still awake?” Owl opened...

ConflictInternational

Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Allies With Punishment

Trump Declares ‘Economic D-Day’ Against Iran, Threatens Allies With Punishment US President Donald Trump has announced a major escalation of economic pressure on...

Related Articles

Tinubu Moves to Delay Release of US Records on Drug Allegations

Tinubu Moves to Delay Release of US Records on Drug Allegations President...

Zambia President Wins Second Term, Promises Millions of Jobs

Zambia President Wins Second Term, Promises Millions of Jobs Zambia’s President Hakainde...

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun...

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In...