I Have Iran to Deal With — Trump Explains Why He’ll Miss Son’s Wedding
President Donald Trump has revealed why he will not attend the wedding of his son, Donald Trump Jr., to socialite Bettina Anderson, saying matters of state and ongoing global tensions have forced him to remain in Washington.
The wedding, expected to take place privately in the Bahamas this weekend, will go ahead without the presence of the U.S. president, despite his admission that he had hoped to attend.
In a message shared on his Truth Social platform on Friday, Trump said his responsibilities at the White House made the trip impossible.
“While I very much wanted to be with my son, Don Jr., and the newest member of the Trump family, his soon-to-be wife, Bettina, circumstances pertaining to government, and my love for the United States of America, do not allow me to do so,” he wrote, while congratulating the couple.
The president added that remaining in Washington during what he described as an important period for the country was necessary.
A day earlier, Trump had hinted that attending the wedding might prove difficult, referencing tensions involving Iran and other pressing national matters.
Speaking with journalists, he joked about the criticism he expected either way.
“He’d like me to go,” Trump said of his son. “But it’s a small private affair, and I’m in the middle of things. I have Iran and other issues. If I go, I get criticised. If I don’t go, I still get criticised.”
Although Trump did not point to any exact emergency requiring him to stay back, his updated weekend schedule reportedly lists executive duties at the White House.
The wedding marks a new chapter for Donald Trump Jr., who was previously married to Vanessa Trump. The pair, who share five children, ended their marriage in 2018 during Trump’s first presidency.
Leave a comment