Home Conflict UN Solicitude Ovet Alarming Cases Of Sexual Violence In The DRC
Conflict

UN Solicitude Ovet Alarming Cases Of Sexual Violence In The DRC

Share
Share

By Chinasaokwu Helen Okoro


UN human rights chief Volker Türk on Friday (07 Feb) expressed profound concerns at the ongoing violent escalation in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) caused by the ongoing Rwanda-backed M23 offensive.

“If nothing is done, the worst may be yet to come, for the people of the eastern DRC, but also beyond the country’s borders,” he told a Special Session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva.

Since 26 January, nearly 3,000 people have been killed and 2,880 injured in attacks by the M23 and their allies “with heavy weapons used in populated areas, and intense fighting against the armed forces of the DRC and their allies”, the High Commissioner said, as UN Member States weighed setting up a fact-finding mission to investigate extreme rights violations still being committed in the DRC provinces of North Kivu and South Kivu.

Hostilities continue to occur in this mineral-rich region that has been unstable for decades amid a proliferation of armed groups, which has forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes for many years and seek safety in displacement camps. Fighting escalated in late January when Tutsi majority M23 fighters seized control of parts of North Kivu, including areas near Goma, and advanced towards South Kivu and the eastern DRC’s second city of Bukavu.

A draft resolution circulated before the Special Session – the 37th since the Council was created in 2006 – also condemned Rwanda’s military support of the M23 armed group and called for both Rwanda and M23 to halt their advance and to allow lifesaving humanitarian access immediately.

Hospitals targeted

Addressing UN Member States, Mr. Türk noted that two hospitals in Goma had been bombed on 27 January, killing and injuring multiple patients, including women and children. In a mass prison break at Muzenze Prison in Goma on the same day, at least 165 female inmates were reportedly raped and most were later killed in a fire under unclear circumstances, he said, citing the authorities.

“I am horrified by the spread of sexual violence, which has been an appalling feature of this conflict for a long time. This is likely to worsen in the current circumstances,” the UN rights chief continued, adding that UN staff were now verifying multiple allegations of rape, gang rape and sexual slavery in eastern DRC’s conflict zones.

Echoing those concerns, Bintou Keita, Special Representative of the Secretary-General in the DRC and chief of the UN peacekeeping mission in DRC (MONUSCO) told the Council that dead bodies still lie in the streets of Goma, which M23 fighters now control. The situation is “catastrophic”, she continued.

“While I am speaking, youth are being subjected to forced recruitments and human rights defenders, civil society actors and journalists have also become a major population at risk. MONUSCO continues to receive requests for individual protection from them as well as from judicial authorities under threat and at risk of reprisals from M23 in areas under its control.”

The MONUSCO chief also warned about the health risks linked to the ongoing fighting, “especially the resurgence of cholera and the high risk of Mpox, the sudden interruption of children’s schooling, and the rise of conflict-related sexual violence and gender-based violence.”

According to latest reports, medical personnel face electricity cuts and lack fuel for their generators for basic services, including morgues, Ms. Keita continued. “I again call on international community to advocate for humanitarian assistance to reach Goma immediately.”

In response to the ongoing crisis, DRC’s Minister of Communications and Media, Patrick Muyaya Katembwe, spoke out against the continued logistical, military and financial support of countries including Rwanda “to armed groups operating on our territory.”

The minister maintained that Rwanda’s support for the M23 had fuelled the violence in eastern DRC “for more than 30 years, exacerbating the war for reasons linked to the exploitation of the strategic mining resources of the Democratic Republic of Congo.”

Dismissing that claim, Ambassador James Ngango of Rwanda to the United Nations in Geneva, insisted that an large-scale attack against Rwanda was “imminent.”

He accused the “Kinshasa-backed coalition” of stockpiling a large number of weapons and military equipment near Rwanda’s border, mostly in or around Goma airport. “These weapons include rockets, kamikaze drones, heavy artillery guns capable of shooting precisely within the Rwandan territory. The weapons were not turned at the theatre of operations against the M23, rather they were pointed directly at Rwanda,” he said.

Highlighting the need for international efforts to end the long-running conflict, UN rights chief Mr. Türk insisted on the need to understand its global political and economic links. “The population in the eastern DRC is suffering terribly, while many of the products we consume or use, such as mobile phones, are created using minerals from the east of the country. We are all implicated.”

About The Author

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

LATEST POST

Politics

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun

Adeleke Reaffirms Tinubu Support After Osun Victory, Calls President Son of Osun Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has renewed his support for President...

Tech

Elon Musk’s Starlink Goes Live in Africa as Airtel Launches Direct-to-Phone Service in DRC

Elon Musk’s Starlink Goes Live in Africa as Airtel Launches Direct-to-Phone Service in DRC Elon Musk’s Starlink has made its commercial entry into...

Politics

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In

Osun Election: Six LGAs Yet to Report as Governorship Results Roll In The collation of results from the Osun State governorship election has...

Politics

Osun Election: Davido Accuses Tinubu of ‘Killing Democracy’ Amid Security Tension

Osun Election: Davido Accuses Tinubu of ‘Killing Democracy’ Amid Security Tension Afrobeats star Davido has accused President Bola Ahmed Tinubu of undermining democracy...

Politics

Osun Poll: Security Operatives Nab Over 100 Alleged Imported Voters

Osun Poll: Security Operatives Nab Over 100 Alleged Imported Voters More than 100 people allegedly brought into Osun State to vote in Saturday’s...

Politics

Osun Election: Heavy Security, Early Queues as Voting Begins Across State

Osun Election: Heavy Security, Early Queues as Voting Begins Across State OSOGBO — Residents across Osun State have begun turning out to vote...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: Ugochi and the Stranger Who Knew Her Father’s Name

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Ugochi and the Stranger Who Knew Her Father’s Name Long before the roads of Umuaro became...

Travel

United Nigeria Airlines Crew Member Commended for Professionalism During Unruly Passenger Incident

United Nigeria Airlines Crew Member Commended for Professionalism During Unruly Passenger Incident A cabin crew member of United Nigeria Airlines, Miss Uche Francisca...

Sport

Nigerians Demand Super Falcons Overhaul After World Cup Exit

Nigerians Demand Super Falcons Overhaul After World Cup Exit Calls for major changes to Nigeria’s Super Falcons have intensified after the team lost...

Africa

Africa’s Talking Drum: Nwando Heard Her Name Inside the Empty Calabash

By: Chioma Madonna Ndukwu Africa’s Talking Drum: Nwando Heard Her Name Inside the Empty Calabash In the old village of Umueze, there lived...

AfricaPolitics

Lungu’s Shadow Looms Over Hichilema as Zambians Vote

Lungu’s Shadow Looms Over Hichilema as Zambians Vote Zambians are heading to the polls today in an election shaped by the political rivalry...

Related Articles

“We’re Ready to Retaliate”: Iran Presses Gulf States to Avert Fresh U.S. Strikes

“We’re Ready to Retaliate”: Iran Presses Gulf States to Avert Fresh U.S....

Iran Denies Planned US Meeting, Contradicts Trump on Fresh Talks

Iran Denies Planned US Meeting, Contradicts Trump on Fresh Talks Iran has...

U.S., Israel Consider Major Strikes on Iran’s Energy Sites, Report Says

U.S., Israel Consider Major Strikes on Iran’s Energy Sites, Report Says The...

US Launches Fresh Strikes on Iran as Jordan Intercepts Five Iranian Missiles

US Launches Fresh Strikes on Iran as Jordan Intercepts Five Iranian Missiles...